Friday, May 2, 2008

Lupron is Going Well

I had my fifth Lupron shot today, and I have to say, I'm surprised at how well it's going. We started on Monday, Evan learned how to give the shots at the Dr. office. The shots go in to my stomach anywhere below the belly button, and preferably into fat. No problem there! Bruising is normal because you can hit capillaries in the process. I got one giant black bruise on the first day, and one on the third. 2 out of 5 isn't bad! The shots don't hurt at all, and so far I haven't had any of the crazy side effects the Dr. mentioned. I feel great!

The trial transfer didn't go very well. As with in past insemination attempts, my cervical opening is very difficult to get through. Unfortunately, I have to go back next Wed. for another procedure. It's a cervical dilation, and the dilation will last through the next month.

If you want to read about another woman's experience with the dilation you can find it here.

Apparently if your cervix is closed too tightly and the Dr. has trouble getting the cathetar in to transfer the embryos then your success rate is greatly reduced. Something about having the embryos get "crushed" in the cathetar as they're in the process of being transferred. After this dilation my cervix will remain open enough for the cathetar to go in smoothly for the real transfer.

On a separate note, right after I sat up on the table after having my trial transfer, the Dr. started telling me about the next one and I started to have a case of vasovagel, which is basically where all the blood leaves your head and can cause you to pass out. I had it happen once before when I had surgery on my leg. I'm going to drink some sports drinks before I go in next time, because the sodium apparently helps. I'm also going to take a xanax!

No comments: